Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sexual Health and Reproduction Day! Yay!

I can't believe that this class is nearly over!

Today was so interesting. The microteaching lesson regarding the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships was really useful- I can't remember ever covering that in middle school (or even school in general) and it is such a paramount topic. Especially considering what relationships are portrayed in the media.... I mean, twilight? Talk about your unhealthy relationships...
I had so much fun doing the creative activity from the second microteaching group as well. I think students would take away the importance of using protection (if they decide to engage in sexual activity- I liked that abstinence was often brought up as the only 100% safe method). Accurate knowledge could be a very empowering thing for students of that age, especially considering some of the misguided things I've heard 6th graders say...

Also! I really enjoyed the reading for today. It gave me a good example of something I could go to as a reference for a "how to" talk to certain age groups when they ask one of those (dreaded) questions. Like the "what is sex?" question. I think the reading gave a very appropriate, accurate response to that question. Something I'm continuing to think about is how much teachers are obligated to share with students when students have questions like this that come up. I would need to be sensitive to a diversity of cultures and what would be appropriate to disclose depending on varying beliefs of different families, etc. Just something I'm still wondering about.

No comments:

Post a Comment